It’s been a while since we’ve updated the blog, and plenty has happened in that time. Many chicks from this past summer have fledged, leaving their nests, burrows and modules behind. Although this happens every year, nonetheless it is special occasion every season. I…
Last fall we built the "Habitat Ridge" on Año Nuevo Island, and the eucalyptus log structure is certainly living up to its name by providing protection for the island's new plants and the sensitive soil of auklet burrows.
It's been fun this spring, however, to observe how the Habitat Ridge is…
As the winds pick up along the Central Califorian Coast and the days grow longer, the first signs of spring are beginning to show, here on Año Nuevo Island. Due to the abundance of rain this season, the soil-stabilizing barley grass continues to give the restoration area a green and lush appearance, while…
This fall marked the fruition of years of dedicated work and planning by many people for the common goal of restoring seabird habitat on Año Nuevo Island. Big things happened-- a landing craft came and transported literally tons of materials and plants to the island, a beautiful habitat ridge was built out of a disorderly pile of eucalyptus logs, thousands of native…
The day was blustery and rain came and went as we set about our second check of the Rhinoceros Auklet colony on Año Nuevo Island. Especially exciting was the opportunity to check the new ceramic nest modules that we placed on the island three weeks ago. I approached the Love Shack module and peeked into the entrance. Last week, after noting tracks in a couple of the… Continue
I am excited to be one of the lucky participants in the CCA/REBAR Ano Nuevo Island project. Addressing issues of our role in environmental preservation is a subject dear to my heart, and a great inspiration to my work. The complexities of this assignment have been challenging, a little exhausting, and overall an incredible learning experience. Working with ceramics was intimidating to me in the beginning, but as the production of our module (AKA, the "Love Shack") has…
These last few weeks we've been hard at work trying to get our first round of designs for the next modules up and running. We've made plaster moulds and are getting ready to fire our first set. I think it's safe to say that we've all learned A LOT about clay and how to build structures with a material many of us are unfamiliar with.
Recently I have been pursuing my initial design for the nest modules which takes a fairly different approach from the other modules we've been…
It was very strange being in an area where humans do not have control. We were not able to make it to the actual island due to the waves, but we spent most of the time in the area of the park which is inhabited by elephant sea lions. I think that part was closed off to humans; you could only enter with a tour guide. It was so strange; the sea lions controlled this portion of the park. Humans had to move out of the way for them, and when there was a sea lion in the way, there wasn't much we… Continue
Well here we find ourselves with just under two months to go before the conclusion of our semester and between now and that moment there will undoubtedly be a beehive of activity going on as there is still much to be done. Our class divvied up in three groups of three has been working on our respective nesting module designs and have brought them each to the point where moulds have now been poured.
Hey all, I am participating in the California College of the Arts Ano Nuevo class in charge of creating and deploying ceramic nest modules for the Rhinoceros Auklet population on the island. So far this class has been very rewarding, as well as extremely challenging and thought provoking. Its been hard to design potential homes for a species that is integrated into such a complicated and fragile ecosystem. Last week we finished pouring the moulds for our ceramic modules, which means… Continue
Added by Sonja Murphy on March 10, 2010 at 8:36pm —
On 13 November 2009 we arainged 8 strawbales to shelter 28 native plants (10 Bacharris piularis, 5 Eriophyllum staechadifolium, 10 Ambrosia chamissonis, and 3 Spergularia macrotheca var. macrotheca). The goal was to arainge the plants both within and adjacent to the bales to protect them from winter winds and from the arrival of "nesty" Western Gulls this comming spring. The bales should prevent wind damage and facilitate the establishment of these plants… Continue
Added by Josh Adams on December 8, 2009 at 10:58am —
Michelle and I strain against the weight of a gigantic green eucalyptus log, managing to lift it a few inches from the ground, just enough to slip a heavy chain under and around each end. Through the loop ends of the chain we put a length of steel rod, and then press our weight against it, and in the fashion of a mule team, we nudge the ten-foot long log slowly forward. We pull the log parallel with a fantastical looking… Continue
Here you will find information, project updates and a place to mingle with participants.
This particular space on the site will be reserved for rotating timely blog posts from Oikonos and restoration volunteers. More to come! Thank you for visiting.
PS – To those of you who are already members of this site, thank you for your participation! Be aware we are in the process of prepping the site for public consumption, so there will be changes in… Continue
Added by Oikonos on October 15, 2009 at 1:00pm —